- Librarian’s Index to the Internet – A very useful index of Internet websites, on many subjects, maintained by librarians from around the world.
- RefDesk.com – Refdesk is only about indexing quality Internet sites and assisting visitors in navigating these sites. At Refdesk that is all that counts and that is all that will ever count. Since 1995, Refdesk free and family friendly. Refdesk has three goals:
(1) fast access, (2) intuitive and easy navigation and (3) comprehensive content, rationally indexed. The prevailing philosophy here is: simplicity.
“Simplicity is the natural result of profound thought.” And, very difficult to achieve.
- Topix.net – Read the latest headlines and news from newspapers and and other media from around the Castle Shannon and Pittsburgh areas. You can also pick news from other parts of the country. Local, regional, and statewide news continually updated from
thousands of sources on the web.
- Telephone Ready Reference Unit – Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Answers to many different types of reference questions.
Directions and Maps
- MapQuest’s Interactive Atlas – Offers maps with views that can be magnified from national to street level.
- Google Earth – Google Earth combines the power of Google Search with satellite
imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings to put the world’s geographic information at your fingertips.
- Pennsylvania School Profiles – The information contained in the School Profiles is meant to assist public school personnel and all citizens in evaluating a public school’s qualities.
- Switchboard – The free nationwide residential and business directory.
- Benefits.gov – A website managed by the U. S. Department of Labor to help citizens find out what government benefits that may be eligible to receive. Helps eliminate the need to sift through countless web sites to determine eligibility for benefits, grants and other entitlements.
- Irs.gov– A year-round source for needed tax forms and information.
- U.S. Census Office – Look up census statistics and more.
- U.S. Government Printing Office Home Page – The U. S. Government Printing Office is the largest publisher of information in the world. Many publications are available to the public free of charge
- U.S. Postal Service – Includes ability to perform zip code searches
- FAFSA – Online program for federal student financial aid – Click here to Apply for PIN for
- Allegheny County Tax Assessment/Real Estate Web Site – This is the site setup by Allegheny County for citizens to check on tax assessments and values.
- PA Driver’s License Manuals – The Driver’s Manuals are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print.
All links verified 04/14/16.